Wednesday 23 June 2010

Some things I learnt today

DSCF6036
  1. Big companies are starting to monitor their brands on Social Media. If you complain about a company on Twitter they may start to follow you and may even offer you some advice about accessing their services. Is this a way to by-pass those awful automated telephone helplines? Maybe, but I don't think for long... Answering questions takes time and when the number of people communicating with businesses on social media reaches the number of people contacting them using traditional methods the level of service will drop. The key to making this work long term is harvesting the network effect of giving advice (more on that later).
  2. You can harvest potatoes at this time of year but they will vary in size.
  3. It is impossible to avoid hearing the football score in the hope of watching the game later. Now that I know the score I can't motivate myself to watch the game.
  4. Facebook pages are really worth looking at seriously. I've had issues with Facebook in the past (which stems from what I see on there in terms of my personal use and how "serious" I consider it to be) but pages seem to offer an alternative. Very interesting talk form Stuart Johnson today on use of Facebook by Student Development at University of Leicester. Also, interesting use of powerpoint to illustrate differences between broadcasting, personal communication and social media but in the context of what's been done at Leicester.
  5. If you tailgate through the security barrier to the car park there
    is a fairly good chance it will come down on the top of your car.
    Fortunately this didn't quite happen but I know now to be careful. In
    my defence I have a simple nature and need to be told these things
    (rather than have them barked at me after the event).
  6. You can find a URL for an individual tweet by hovering over the when and where link under the tweet.


1 comment:

  1. Almost forgot the "more on that later" bit. The moral today was about using social media in a different way to traditional communication. One of the benefits of social media that Stuart Johnson highlighted was that if you answer a question on social media in such a way that others can make sense of it (i.e. people other than the person who's asking and the people who's answering) then you've made an efficiency - by answering a question in public space you save answering it over and over again to individuals. Take a look at the @BTCare feed - are they making the most of social media?

    ReplyDelete